Beaumont - St Mary
Postcode: CA5 6ED
Church of England (Anglican)
Visit Cumbria link:
Visitor Info: This Church is included in the Sacred Solway Faith Trail.
Beaumont means 'beautiful hill', which may refer to the Norman motte and bailie castle that was erected here in the C12 on the site of an earlier Roman milecastle - both built to guard the ford over the River Eden. The castle consisted of a man-made mound, the 'motte', which had the fort on top, and an enclosed surrounding area, the 'bailie', where the community lived. Later the three waths (crossing places) over the river also made for centuries of border raids and wars between the Scots and the English.
The church of St Mary was built on top of the mound using stones from the Wall - the line of which runs directly under the church. Little remains of the original church although the single chamber interior is still mostly of the earlier period, notably the south doorway and three east windows. The windows, the porch and the vestry are C19 restorations but with original window arches having been built into the stonework in the vestry wall. The roof dates from the C15.
SPECIAL FEATURES: Grade II* listed. Two early medieval grave slabs were discovered during a series of Victorian restorations and are now built into the west wall behind the font. The earliest recorded Rector was Sir Elias de Thirwall in 1296 and in 1996, to celebrate the church's 700th anniversary a set of kneelers was made commemorating Rectors from each century.
Photo credit: Malcom Minshaw - Permission pending
|Last modified: Thursday 08 August, 2011|